Saturday 28 May 2011

Guest Writer: Kait, from Kait Souch Online



Location: Toronto area, Ontario

Favourite Recipe: Homemade sushi!

Favorite kitchen tool: Not really a tool, but I can't live without cheese, bacon bits & green onion. They can make any dish better instantly! If I had to pick a tool, I'd say my frying pan.

About me & my blog:  I'm a girl from the Toronto area, who loves everything vintage, hand-made, fashion, photography, tea, design, gluten free, new recipes, tea and eco-friendly things. Also is a firm believer that sandwiches always taste better when cut diagonally. Blogs about all of the above… yes even diagonal sandwiches.

What do I live by: See above.. sandwiches cut diagonally ;). 

My favourite quote though is "choose a job you love, and never work a day in your life" - Oscar Wilde



Mozzarella Cheese Sticks! (Gluten Free version as well)

Hi everyone! I'm Kait from Miss Kait Online! Recently I found out I had to go on a gluten free diet. Wasn’t a huge deal.. until I couldn’t find any mozzarella cheese sticks that were gluten free! So I learned how to make my own! For all you kiddies out there who can eat gluten, just switch out the gluten free substitutes for the normal stuff. It’s a fairly simple recipe, but  be warned: it is messy and time consuming when making it by yourself. Lets get cracking! Here's what you'll need:  


Rice (or bread) crumbs
Milk
Dried parsley 
Mozzarella cheese strings
2 eggs
Rice (or regular) flour.

Put the following ingredients in bowls like so: 


Cut the mozzarella sticks in half. Take them one by one and roll them first in the flour, than the eggs & milk, then the crumbs. Repeat this process until you have the desired coverage of your cheese. (I do this about 2 or three times)

Once they’re all done, place them on a tray and flash freeze them for about 20 minutes. This will make it easier to fry them without the cheese fully melting inside and creating a mess before they’re cooked. While they’re freezing, I like to take this time to prepare the sauce.

For the sauce you’ll need a can of tomato paste, finely chopped onions, 1 clove minced garlic, oregano, basil, salt & pepper, sugar, ¼ water, 1tbsp olive oil and garlic salt. Combine all the ingredients in a pot and warm. The sugar is to take out the acidity of the tomato paste, generally 2 pinches does the trick.

Once the sticks are nice and cold, its time to fry them up! Fry them in some sunflower oil (canola or olive oil works as well) until they are golden brown. I typically refreeze some of them after they’re cooked. I reheat them in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes for a quick snack. You can eat them when they are right off the pan as well!


How good do these look?! You can use this method on so many different things, veggies (its great for onion rings), fish, whatever you can think of! As someone who can’t eat gluten it’s a really handy recipe to have. And of course, like everything else in life they taste great with a martini ;). Enjoy!

Kait.




Interested in being a guest writer? I'd love to have you! Click here for all the info!! The more the merrier!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you Kait, a really nice post guest writer!! x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has such great photos! I love the fonts she uses. I am going to have to go check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look SO positively delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I read each and everyone of them!